[CentOS] tools one could to use to troubleshoot for Apache

Fri Aug 20 20:19:47 UTC 2010
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 8/20/2010 2:20 PM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Agnello George
> <agnello.dsouza at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Have a question , Suppose i had a client tell me that  he can access the web
>> page but it takes long time to view  the pages   the website is a static
>> website ( suppose this website does not server dynamic data  or does not
>> connect to a database )... what would one check other than :
>>
>> the server load  ( cat /proc/loadaverage )  ,
>>
>>   the Apache logs  ,
>>
>>   the number of client connection ( netstat -tupln |grep :80 |wc -l )
>>

> I'll second Google/Yahoo tools..
>
> Also check your resolvers (DNS timing out on nameserver, etc..). This
> can affect not only the initial connection but other elements on the
> page that get loaded from elsewhere.

Are ads displayed on the page from some remote service?  If you haven't
specified all of the column widths in the HTML layout or if there are
more than the max number of connections your browser will process at
once, the display may wait for the images to fill in.   You can have the
latter problem even with lots of little decorations from your own site.
  You can diagnose it with a wget of the base page which won't
automatically pull the images like a browser does.  If it turns out to
be the server itself, adding RAM and bumping up the number of child
processes will probably help.  With mostly static pages you should end
up with the busy parts of the site cached in the filesytem buffers and
very fast.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com