[CentOS] SDA and HDA

Sun Aug 22 21:09:00 UTC 2010
Matt <lm7812 at gmail.com>

> The only problems with switching after install is:
>
> 1) you need to be sure the initrd has the (proper) SATA kernel module(s)
> in it.  If necessary, you'll have to use mkinitrd to re-create the
> initrd file to include the proper driver modules.
>
> 2) /etc/fstab needs to be fixed, either to use LABEL= (rather than
> /dev/hdaN) and your file systems (including swap) need to have file
> sytem labels.  (LVM volumes won't be a problem.)

I changed it in bios to sata mode.  Now after boot up it calls it sda
instead of hda and disk I/O is much faster.

I see in this file:

# cat /boot/grub/device.map
# this device map was generated by anaconda
(hd0)     /dev/hda

Should I change this too sda?  It works and boots the way it is but
just wandering?

Here is fstab:

# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

Matt