[CentOS] Slow domain resolution problem

Mon Aug 23 15:29:16 UTC 2010
Gabriel Tabares <gabriel.tabares at roboreus.com>

On 23/08/2010 16:07, Giles Coochey wrote:
> On Mon, August 23, 2010 17:03, Gabriel Tabares wrote:

>>> The problems can sometimes be caused by not having reverse-DNS records
>>> for
>>> your hosts. Can you resolve to names (any name) from an IP address?
>>> e.g. nslookup 10.2.9.2?
>>>
>>> It doesn't matter if it doesn't resolve to the rigt name, just that it
>>> resolves to something (and avoids the timeout)...
>>>

>> They don't resolve to anything:
>>
>> Server:         10.2.2.254
>> Address:        10.2.2.254#53
>>
>> Non-authoritative answer:
>> *** Can't find 2.9.2.10.in-addr.arpa.: No answer
>>
>> Authoritative answers can be found from:
>>

> Can you contact the network / DNS admins and ask them to create PTR
> records in the in-addr.arpa zone for your hosts?
> If not, someone posted a workaround for this for your nsswitch.conf file.
>
> As I said - it doesn't normally matter what they set it to, except perhaps
> for email smart-hosts / gateways, just that the reverse lookups exist.

I will look into this. I am the network admin but, for the first time,
we are using the firewall for DNS and it seems that it may be a lot more
picky about resolution and way less configurable. It only proxies or
resolves for a list of known hosts. I might end setting up an internal
DNS server, as it will probably be easier than troubleshooting the
firewall (how I hate firewall and their closed OSs!).

Thanks for your help

Gabriel