[CentOS] PAM_shield locking me out?

Tue Aug 24 15:35:26 UTC 2010
Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net>

On Tue, August 24, 2010 17:29, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Yesterday I installed pam_shield and followed the testing suggested and
> thought all was well.
> today I find that I cannot get to my email account, I can login via ssh
> okay (uses keys) but su and sudo give
> segmentation faults. I am guessing due to the pam module causing a
> problem.
> BTW - the console also fails to allow login
> TIA Rob

You'll need to boot into Single User Mode and undo or just check your pam
configuration:

From:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.html

At the GRUB splash screen at boot time, press any key to enter the GRUB
interactive menu.

Select Red Hat Enterprise Linux with the version of the kernel that you
wish to boot and type a to append the line.

Go to the end of the line and type single as a separate word (press the
Spacebar and then type single). Press Enter to exit edit mode.