[CentOS] Set default file/dir permissions?

Thu Aug 26 14:58:37 UTC 2010
Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas at gmail.com>

On Thursday 26 August 2010 10:35:08 Tim Nelson wrote:
> I've looked at and tested umask but it only seems to allow/disallow
> specific permissions, not force permissions. Am I missing something? How
> can I force all files/dirs created under a specific directory to have the
> permissions (and ownership if possible) that I specify?

Hi,

You need to jump into ACLs.   You'll do something like:

http://tinyurl.com/257k9qy

If you don't want to deal with ACLs and your requirements aren't too specific
you could set the SGID, bit (Set Group ID) so that every file created under the
directory will be owned by the group owner of that directory:

chown myGroup /var/appdata
chmod g+s /var/adppdata

HTH,
Jorge