[CentOS] Screensaver timer failure

Thu Aug 26 18:06:42 UTC 2010
Mark <mhullrich at gmail.com>

2010/8/22 Tsuyoshi Nagata <nagata3333333 at jp.fujitsu.com>:
> Hi Mark!
> (2010/08/23 7:47), Mark wrote:
>> I have my screensaver set to activate after 2 hours, but it never does.
>
> #Appliation Issue
> After 2hr, another problem would be happened in your box.
> Many case some application rubs the CPU, these are high priority than screensavers prio.
>
> #Kernel Issue
> You point your kernel, kernel changes many times time BASE ratio(100hz, 1000hz, 1024hz...).
> More newer kernel will fix this problem. Or Xserver(desktop GUI component) will fix
> this problem.
> Older kernel OK?, you have to switch back to old kernel.

After yet another test yesterday where I just left the machine idle
for over 3 hours and the screensaver did not activate, I concluded
that mplayer was not part of the problem and rebooted.

Screensaver now works just fine (same kernel, with or without mplayer
running, 10 minutes or 2 hours), so I'm completely lost as to why it
failed.

I tried looking through the .gnome and .gnome2 files for a clue, but
there's nothing particularly informative in them, so I'm wondering
where the screensaver settings are kept, etc.  I'd rather not search
every file on my system (some 800GB worth - ick!).

Google was not particularly informative on this subject, either,
although I did find out how to make my own slideshow....

Mark