[CentOS] slightly OT: dban

Fri Aug 27 14:48:01 UTC 2010
Peter Kjellstrom <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Friday 27 August 2010, Kevin Thorpe wrote:
>   On 27/08/2010 15:19, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > I'm trying to nuke a Dell Optiplex GX620. I've got a perfectly good dban
> > 1.0.4 that I've used a bunch of times... but on this machine, it says
> > starting, then dies, saying "dban has finished with non-fatal errors.
> > Check the log for more information" It never gets to the interactive
> > menu.
> >
> > Now that I've disabled the non-existant floppy drive, at least it does
> > say "to save the log file again, press enter"....
>
> I usually use dban but if it's not handy use a liveCD (me usually
> Ubuntu) and use dd:
>
> Assuming the drive to kill is /dev/sda:
> dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sda

This command will take forever and ever and ever (reads against /dev/random
blocks as the kernel runs out of entropy). /dev/urandom would be better but
still not very fast.

To get some speed you'd have to do something like:
 1) save a megabyte of /dev/urandom in a file
 2) while true ; do dd file to dev ; done

Or run some dban-like program instead of dd.

/Peter