[CentOS] cfengine vs. puppet

Fri Aug 27 19:05:03 UTC 2010
Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com>

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> cfengine has a bit more cross-platform capability, but note that CentOS
> supplies a 2.x release where the project has moved on to 3.x with wildly
> different syntax, and a native windows build is only available in the
> commercial version.

cfengine 2.x will be with us for years to come. It works great, it's
easy to deploy, easy to use and has few dependencies.

Cfengine3 is interesting, but I'll wait until Campi an Bauer write the
3rd edition of "Automating Linux and Unix System Administration" ;-)
(the $40 I spent on Automating Linux and Unix System Administration,
Second Edition by Campi and Bauer have made my life so much easier:
thanks guys!).

As to the windows build: no-one prevents you from building it yourself
and running it, it is not that difficult:
http://blog.zzamboni.org/installing-cfengine-on-windows-7-under-cygwin.
You could even (gasp) consider buying the commercial version, Windows
shops are used to paying for software anyways ;-)

No experience with puppet, though. I am happy with cfengine already :-)

--
natxo