[CentOS] Freezing gnome terminals...

Mon Aug 30 12:47:34 UTC 2010
John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>

From: Kahlil Hodgson <kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au>

> On 08/28/2010 01:40 AM, didi wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 27,  2010 at 4:38 PM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> just wondering if you also experience gnome  terminals freezing after a
>while...?
> >> It mainly happens over the  week-end.
> >> I would leave a terminal open (with an ssh session to a  remote site), come
>back
> >> on monday and type a few commands and it  jwould just freeze.
> >> But it also happen from time to time randomly  during the day (but still
>with
> >> days old terminals).
> >>  Happens to my collegues too.
> >> The Gnome terminal Reset option would  not do anything.
> >> any idea what could be the problem?
> > Maybe have a look at the strace. But if you have an ssh session  open
> > chances are, that timed out.
> In which case the escape  sequence '~.' should close the connection and
> give you could terminal  back.

And it is not a simple timeout; it is a total terminal freeze.
The thing is that, on monday, I can still use it a little bit before it
freezes...
I would do a ls or df... and it works for a while and then it freezes in the
middle of the output...
Pressing the return key won't go to the next line, etc...
But the Gnome terminal menus still work fine.

JD