[CentOS] pam changes - service restart reqd?

Mon Aug 30 20:25:54 UTC 2010
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Carlos S wrote:

> Changed system-auth config to use LDAP.
>
> The sshd config is configured to use PAM. I am not sure whether it
> load that file at daemon start or refers to it every time a login
> attempt with password is made.
>
> When would it be requiring restart in general?

Make sure you restart nscd before trying anything else.

If
  * you're doing LDAP over SSL,
  * you've configured LDAP to verify peers against a CA certificate,
  * that cert was not in place when you did the system-auth changes,
then sometimes a reboot seems the easiest way out.

I suspect that I haven't played enough with tricks like "telinit u" to
figure out the real magic. All I know is that a mid-stream switch to
LDAP/SSL doesn't always "take" easily.