[CentOS] System beeps in kernel 2.6.18-194

Tue Aug 31 13:40:15 UTC 2010
Glenn Eychaner <geychaner at mac.com>

On Aug 31, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Glenn Eychaner wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2010, at 12:00 PM, centos-request at centos.org wrote:
>
>>> ?Is there someplace can I find *detailed* release notes on the differences between -164 and -194 kernels to help in looking for the problem, pinning it down, and submitting a patch (and/or building my own kernel), or should I just download the SRPMS and dig in?
>>
>> You can find kernel changelog diffs here (maintaind by Alan Bartlett):
>>
>> http://www.centos.toracat.org/ajb/kernel-clog-diff/
>
> Is there any place that I can find RPM or SRPM packages for the kernels between 18-164 and 18-194 that are listed in this kernel log?  It would really help narrow down the problem if I could just build each kernel version and test it; then at least I'd only have one set of differences to go through rather than 30.

Having read the kernel log diff list, and searched it for items related to "sound", I'm really suspicious of the following listed change:

* Mon Dec 21 2009 Jarod Wilson <jarod at redhat.com> [2.6.18-183.el5]
[...]
< - [sound] alsa hda driver update for rhel5.5 (Jaroslav Kysela) [525390]

How do I go about backing out this change (reverting the alsa hda drivers in the -194 kernel to the -164 kernel versions) for testing?

-G.
--
Glenn Eychaner (geychaner at lco.cl)
Telescope Systems Programmer, Las Campanas Observatory