[CentOS] GFS/GFS2 on CentOS

Tue Aug 31 21:12:24 UTC 2010
Boris Epstein <borepstein at gmail.com>

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:48:17AM -0400, Boris Epstein wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> If you have had experience hosting GFS/GFS2 on CentOS machines could
>> you share you general impression on it? Was it realiable? Fast? Any
>> issues or concerns?
>
> I've only run GFS2 on RHEL5.  It's been quite reliable, but certainly
> has a bit of a learning curve from regular filesystems.
>
> It's fast enough, but if you have more than one node, keep in mind
> you'll potentially be held back by lock manager contention under
> certain workloads (like reading information on every inode on the
> system for backup purposes, etc).
>
> For our uses (home directory server), it's more than adequate.
>

>> Also, how feasible is it to start it on just one machine and then grow
>> it out if necessary?
>
> Haven't yet done this, but it can run on top of LVM just fine (clvm in
> fact).
>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Boris.
>
> Ray

Thanks Ray!

Is it feasible to export GFS to NFS clients?

And one more interesting thing. Wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_File_System ) says that GFS2 is
supported only starting at kernel 2.6.19 but on my CentOS 5.5 uname
says:

[bepstein at dellnikon ~]$ uname -a
Linux dellnikon 2.6.18-194.el5 #1 SMP Fri Apr 2 14:58:35 EDT 2010 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[bepstein at dellnikon ~]$

Could thins be a problem?

Boris.