[CentOS] 1 Gbit/s Ethernet NIC under CentOS

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Thu Dec 2 10:53:55 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 01 December 2010 20:12:18 Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hello listmates,
>
> As some of you may know we have been having a really bad problem with
> Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 cards. See here for details:
>
> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?24,140124,140224
>
> So now my question is, what PCI 1 Gbit/s Ethernet adapters should I
> use under CentOS? If you have had a consistent positive experience
> with any particular chipset/brand please speak up.

We have O(1000) of both broadcom and intel (various models) and we've had very
few problems over the years with those. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either but
given a choice I'd go for intel (since I do think the few hickups we've had,
more often than not, struck the broadcoms).

For completeness (since many previous posts have touched on this), we don't
use jumbo frames since we have no problem reaching wirespeed with normal 1500
frames.

/Peter