[CentOS] shutdown script

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Fri Dec 3 23:20:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> From: m.roth at 5-cent.us
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] shutdown script
>
> Michael D. Berger wrote:
>> I have a daemon that throws an exception whenever I shutdown or
>> reboot.  However, stopping it with kill -15, or calling the
>> stop command in its start stop script (in /etc/init.d/) results
>> in correct termination.
>>
>> Therefore, might it be that shutdown or reboot call an initial script
>> in which I can stop the daemon, and then delay a little?

Is this any good?

#! /bin/bash

# Bash script to perform a gracefull shutdown of apache web server
# called from /root/root-admin-scripts/databases/fedora-8-mysql/
# backup-mysql-databases.php
# DO NOT DELETE!
#------------------------------------------------------#

# seconds to wait for apache to shutdown
APACHE_GRACE_TIME=10

# output the current version of apache
apachectl -v
echo ""

# gracefully shut-down the apache web server
apachectl graceful-stop

echo "Shutting down Apache web server..."
echo "Waiting $APACHE_GRACE_TIME seconds for Apache web
server to finish..."

# wait for apache to shutdown properly
sleep $APACHE_GRACE_TIME

exit 0

I wanted to shutdown Apache so it was not updating MySQL
databases when the backup script ran ;)

Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.