[CentOS] CentOS 6: what's the status?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Dec 6 20:08:36 UTC 2010

On Monday, December 06, 2010 02:31:23 pm Boris Epstein wrote:
> So, what's the story with CentOS 6? It is supposed to be out by now,
> or coming out soon, or so I heard - but yet there seems to be no
> mention of it at http://centos.org/ . Does anybody know what's up with
> that?

Karanbir has solicited help on the -devel list; I'm sure there are things that need doing that perhaps you could help with......

Having said that, if you just absolutely must run an EL6, Scientific Linux 6 is available in an early alpha (and I do mean early alpha); it may very well be that might fit your bill for something to 'try out'.

In this regard, SL and CentOS have somewhat differing approaches; I understand and respect both approaches, and, as I've learned being the father of five children, ages 3 to 16, patience works wonders.  So, even though I've pulled an iso of the SL6 alpha, I'm patiently waiting a stable, well-thought-out release of C6, whenever it's ready.  Even if that were to be January, February, or March.

SL6 is tentatively set for sometime around March 11 for final release: from the SL mailing list, Troy Dawson being quoted: "It is still too early to tell, but I think we can stand by our original guess, which was 4 months from RHEL's original release.  As you put it, that would be March 11. Give us another month (mid-january) and I think we can have a more accurate timeline."  I hope Troy doesn't mind my quoting him here.

I'm one who thinks a Christmas _alpha_or_beta_ might be reasonable, but I really don't think a final release by then is reasonably doable, as long as the small group doing the work doesn't get quite a bit more help.  Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong, but I like my CentOS stable, not early.