[CentOS] CentOS 6: what's the status?

Connie Sieh csieh at fnal.gov
Mon Dec 6 20:15:34 UTC 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Monday, December 06, 2010 02:31:23 pm Boris Epstein wrote:
>> So, what's the story with CentOS 6? It is supposed to be out by now,
>> or coming out soon, or so I heard - but yet there seems to be no
>> mention of it at http://centos.org/ . Does anybody know what's up with
>> that?
>
> Karanbir has solicited help on the -devel list; I'm sure there are things that need doing that perhaps you could help with......
>
> Having said that, if you just absolutely must run an EL6, Scientific Linux 6 is available in an early alpha (and I do mean early alpha); it may very well be that might fit your bill for something to 'try out'.

We have released both a pre alpha based on rebuilds of the RHEL 6 Beta and
a "alpha" based on the rebuild of the RHEL 6 released SRPMS.  The later
was done this past friday.  It is a alpha and as such should NOT NOT NOT
be used for anything other than testing.

> In this regard, SL and CentOS have somewhat differing approaches;
> I understand and respect both approaches, and, as I've learned being
> the father of five children, ages 3 to 16, patience works wonders.
> So, even though I've pulled an iso of the SL6 alpha, I'm patiently
> waiting a stable, well-thought-out release of C6, whenever it's ready.
> Even if that were to be January, February, or March.

SL believes in "release early" , "release often".