[CentOS] Building packages using RPMBUILD

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Thu Dec 16 16:33:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> From: Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Building packages using RPMBUILD
>
> On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net> wrote:
>>
>> I had already installed the packages mentioned in the Centos
>> wiki.
>
> I assume you are referring to this wiki:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SetupRpmBuildEnvironment

Thanks Akemi.

I was refering to this Centos wiki article:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source

The second part.

I'll read up on the link you sent me.

Thanks for that.

Is the link you sent me more relevant than the MaxRPM
guidelines:

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/p5206.html

Kind Regards,

Keith

> If not, I strongly recommend reading it through. Up front it warns you
> to not do the build as root. It provides the details for setting up
> the build environment which will help you understand the whole
> process. Installing some rpms may be convenient but you may miss the
> chance of learning. :-)
>
> Akemi

in practice they are not.