[CentOS] server version on laptop

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 13:40:12 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Johan Scheepers <johansche at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Good day,
>
> What can I expect if I should install a server version of a distro on my
> laptop, please.

I'm running CentOS 5.5 on a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop. No real
issues, but some caveats:
1)  Getting the multi-media keys to work took some doing. Though
fairly well documented online, it took a while to find.
2) Sleep/Hibernate functions seem to work every other kernel update
(that's probably not the case but it seems so).
3) Wireless took some tinkering to get working. I don't use the
wireless too often though.

Again, nothing that a quick Google didn't solve, but took a day or so
to get it working. I enjoy the success at the end, but can be
frustrating if you're in a rush.  The desktop oriented distributions
picked all of the hardware up without error. Even my AT&T USB 3G card
worked with just 4 clicks on "Next".

But I still run CentOS because the frustration I faced some 2 or 3
years ago is nothing compared to the years of stability I've had :D