[CentOS] I/O size distribution?

Antonello Piemonte apiemont at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 22 21:08:17 UTC 2010

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I had a look at systemtap but I have the feeling that in it's current
state it is aimed more at kernel developers rather than average admins
like me :-)

Still, I'll keep an eye on it also give the fact that there seem to be
now new documentation being written about it

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/pdf/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide/SystemTap_Beginners_Guide.pdf

On the other end, I have discovered blktrace and related tools, and
this seems more palatable to me (subjective, I know ...). This example
in particular seems to work for me

# blktrace /dev/sda -a issue -a complete -w 60 -o - | blkiomon -I 4 -h -

thought to share in case anyone finds it useful.

cheers
A.