[CentOS] tomcat errors starting after upgrade from cent5.3 to 5.5 (/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find)

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 16:15:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Frank Even
<lists+centos.org at elitists.org> wrote:

> The thing that currently has me stumped is that it all blows up when I
> upgrade the Tomcat package.  None of the configs have changed.  I can
> update the base OS and it still all works fine.  Install Tomcat
> package, errors.  How many different places does Cent try to set Java?
>  I've found server.xml, tomcat5.conf, /etc/sysconfig/tomcat5 so
> far.....any I've missed?

alternatives --display java

The system java could be pointed to a couple different places via the
alternatives framework.

> Also from what I've gathered is that "rebuild-jar-repository" isn't
> part of a standard Tomcat install.  Is "rebuild-jar-repository" trying
> to accomplish something special missing in a standard Tomcat install?

No idea. You might also need to double check the permissions for
/var/lib/tomcat/* if you had anything special set in there. the
updated rpm can change file permissions back to rpm defaults, which
might impact certain apps.

George Orwell