[CentOS] Problems with motherboard support? INTEL DP43BF

robert mena

robert.mena at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 19:04:18 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've installed Centos 5.5 (plus updates) in a machine with INTEL DP43BF
motherboard.  In order to make Linux detect the PCIs I've added
the pci=assign-busses in my GRUB conf.

Everything runs fine but within less than 2 days of uptime the machine
simply freezes (black console no connectivity).  This has happened more than
one time so I'm considering to be a problem. The memtest passed without a
problem and the machine uses a compact flash (sandisk extreme III 4GB) as a
disk.

I could only find the error messages in my /var/log/messages but those
appear hours before the actual lock.

   kernel: 0000:00:1a.7 EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?) 01010001

kernel: 0000:00:1d.7 EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug ?) 01010001

kernel: eth4: PCI Bus error a290.

kernel: eth4: PCI Bus error 0290.

kernel: eth3: PCI Bus error 2290.

kernel: eth3: PCI Bus error 0290.