[CentOS] query regarding virtual machine space increase

Sun Dec 26 15:30:59 UTC 2010
benedict dcunha <sylvan.dcunha at gmail.com>

Dear All,

I am sorry for this post if at all i used the wrong forum but I guess
someone out there will be there to advise me and help me out and would be
really apprecite and be grateful
i have new to xen and has setup my first virtual machine

I have a centos 5.5 xen server working perfect and have installed a virtual
2008 server and its working fine .
Actually i created the virtual machine in manager installation wizard with
the following option.
in the storage option I selected File (disk Image)
the location /var/lib/xen/images/image.img ( I have about 400gb free in /var
partition)
size i choose 15000 mb
deselect the checkbox ... allocate entire virtual disk now

since the below warning says

if you dont allocate the entire disk now , space will be allocated as needed
while the virtual machine is running .

The 2008 server was installed perfect. and also I did install some software
and c drive showed me 800 mb free

now I tried to copy 1 gb file to my virtual machine and it said I dont have
space .

Now I was thinking that additional space would be allocated on the fly as
the note says above

i am just wondering why its not allocating more space or what would be the
ideal way now for allocating more space

if I wanna create a new virtual machine choosing the block device( partition
option) is the correct way to avoid this problem??

I actually would like the virtual machine to use as much as it requires as
long as there is free space on my local disk

apprecite your kinfd advice and help

regards
simon