[CentOS] Nerd rage (Was: IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?)

Wed Dec 8 15:46:44 UTC 2010
Jerry Franz <jfranz at freerun.com>

On 12/08/2010 07:03 AM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> Honestly, I had no one in mind.
> I remember in an effort to get a life outside tech, I joined a mailing
> list for something else.  I hadn't realized how most people top post,
> don't trim, and still use aol.

It really is worth noting that the bottom-post convention used on many
technical lists *is not* how most of the planet now does email or other
electronic communications. The rage we see here over it is really just
another technical 'religious war' by people who don't tolerate change
well. In reality, it doesn't matter much for most things either way and
far more harm is done by the howling over it than using either
convention actually causes.

I still remember the rage sparked on the Usenet by some old timers when
people started using JPEG and MIME rather than GIF and uuencoding. Oh,
the horror of it.

Oh, BTW:  vim over emacs.

;-)

--
Benjamin Franz

Asperger's are wonderful people but they can be very difficult to get
along with.
The expression "would argue with a signpost" comes to mind."
                                  - John Wilkins, blog comment, May 24 2006