[CentOS] Optimal VPN

Fri Dec 10 08:42:46 UTC 2010
David Sommerseth <dazo at users.sourceforge.net>

On 09/12/10 17:29, Steve Clark wrote:
> On 12/09/2010 10:30 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:
>> On 25/11/10 14:12, J.Witvliet at mindef.nl wrote:
[...snip...]

>>> Furthermore, openvpn is only compatible with openvpn, while using ipsec you might be able to connect to other boxes.
>>>
>> That is mostly true, except for those vendors adding their own
>> proprietary extensions to their ipsec implementations ... thus making it
>> a vendor lock-in again.
>>

> Hmm... We run ipsec, (using ipsec-tools on both Linux and FreeBSD),
>  to Cisco, Juniper, NetScreen and many others without problem.
> What vendors are you talking about?

I don't have personal hand-on experiences with ipsec issues.  However, I
would expect things to work flawlessly as long as you don't enable
vendor specific features, or if you enable compatible features.

<http://www.veiligmobiel.com/IPsecCompatibility.htm>

And I believe it will be even more differences if you try to use a
"tunnelled" setup versus a "transport" setup, where the tunnelled mode
will act more a like a SSL based VPN.  If I have understood it correctly.

kind regards,

David Sommerseth