[CentOS] Antwort: MegaRAID SAS 9280-24i4e -- Centos support.

Tue Dec 14 16:34:32 UTC 2010
Brunner, Brian T. <BBrunner at gai-tronics.com>

 >> Timo,
>> Its interesting, I am presently attending a conference in NYC and in
one of the tables I saw the redhat vendor.
>>  My first question to them was " What do you think about centos",
they reply "You are using a distribution
>>  without support and that is prompt to failure..." I don't think this
is an accurate statement is it? Anyway to
>>  make the story short, they keep telling how bad centos is for our
datacenter and that I should consider
>>  adopting redhat which is more "robust", offers "virtualization" and
nearly real-time support for its customers.
>>  I didn't go the extra mile to ask for pricing but would appreciate
your input about what they said about centos.
>>  Lisandro

CentOS == RedHat.
CentOS has every bug that RedHat has.
CentOS has every bug fix that RedHat has.
When RedHat rolls out a new version (e.g. RHEL6.0) there is a lag of a
few months rolling out the CentOS release of the same version; for bug
fixes the lag is a few days.

So, the price of RedHat is money, the price for CentOS is patience.
The product sold by RedHat is support, the product 'sold by' CentOS is
self-support.
The relative value of the two arises from your ability to support your
systems.