[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

Tue Dec 14 21:01:27 UTC 2010

Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 12/14/2010 1:16 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>>>

>>> Personally I've banned Perl from the network primarily because of the
>>> maintenance disaster that is CPAN.
>>
>> And your perfectly maintained public source of equivalent functionality
>> is in what language?
>>
>> But, you should rarely if ever use CPAN code directly in Centos for the
>> same reasons you wouldn't drop a stock upstream kernel every few days.
>> Most of what you are likely to need are packaged - and maintained - in
>> EPEL or rpmforge.
>
> :)
> Thank goodness for CPAN2RPM.  I use it quite often for the occasional
> package that is not in the default repos.
>
> As to Perl.. though it still is my preferred language for getting
> things done (mainly because I understand it that I first think out
> problems in Perl then convert to other languages), I have seen some
> bad, really bad Perl code..

And your point is? I consider the fact that *every* *single* *time* tomcat
crashes ("you cannot have null pointer exceptions in java", the books all
said), the stack trace is 150 or 200 calls deep. Show me something written
in C, or C++, or perl, or php, or... that's that bad.

And then there was the guy I worked with in the late eighties, who
converted a 3000-line RPGIII program to a 600 line RPGII program, while I
went from a 2200-line COBOL program to 600+ lines....

        mark