[CentOS] OT: programming language for morons (newbie friendly language in Open Source world)

Tue Dec 14 22:01:19 UTC 2010

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 12/14/2010 3:38 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>
>>> If you don't like java's verbosity, you might like groovy.  You can,
>>> for
>>
>> OO in general, and java in particular, IMO, is trying to enforce good
>> coding standards by compiler... except, of course, that it doesn't work.
>>
>>> example, print items from a database in about 3 lines.
>>
>> Really? I can do that in one:
>> sqlplus (or mysql, or whatever)
>> select * from mytable;
>>
>> Or from C, using, say, Pro*C:
>> Exec SQL
>>    select ....
>> End-Exec
>>
>>          mark, being difficult
>
> I think besides being difficult you are missing the point - you can't do
> anything else with those values from a sql server's own monitor tool -
> and the way you do even that will vary with the sql server flavor.  With
> groovy you can use any jdbc interface the same way and hand off the
> values to any other java jars or code you have around - maybe use
> jfreereport to graph them with a few more lines, etc.  I suppose you
> could do that in C if you wanted to spend the rest of your life writing
> it.

Sure I can, but then, I know a good bit of sql as a language (bleah!). Why
"the rest of my life"? Through the nineties, a *lot* of folks wrote a
*lot* of C with embedded SQL as it's called.

But I think the real point of this thread is that perl isn't bad, bad
programmers (sorry, "developers") will write bad code in any language.

       mark