[CentOS] OT: best ext3/2 file recovery tool?

Wed Dec 15 21:31:35 UTC 2010
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:05:30PM +0200, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the best tool for recovering files on really corrupted ext
> filesystem? I already tried photorec, but are there any better
> solutions available? (commercial software ?)

I found one last winter by googlinh. when I get home I will try
to look up the name and URL and post it here.

It appears to be a company in India. it was, I think, $49 US. I used
it to recover an ext3 or ext4 partition that I had stupidly run a mkfs
on top of. DUH. couple hundred gigabytes of mostly video files.

it found tons of files, AFAIK all the important ones. The tool itself
is kind of flaky and not fully intuitive, and their support desk does
not reply to emails. But I figured it out and got what I needed.

btw they have both windows and linux binaries, both of which, as I
understoodit, could recovery linux drives. I had the linux binary, so
it's entirely possible that the windows binary lacks some of the flakiness
I found, though I don'tKNOW that.

                       I can do all things through Christ
                              who strengthens me.