[CentOS] Stripping silent periods from MP3s

Fri Dec 17 21:02:23 UTC 2010
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, John Hodrien wrote:

> From: John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Stripping silent periods from MP3s
>
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2010, Keith Roberts wrote:
>
>> Thanks for all the responses!
>>
>> I've read MaximumRPM from:
>>
>> http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/index.html
>>
>> Which helped me a great deal.
>>
>> I'll start a new thread regarding using RPM to build
>> packages.
>
> You'll find MaximumRPM will have taught you a whole lot you didn't need to
> know (not that this is a bad thing).  In this case, it really should have been
> a case of:
>
> yum install lame
> wget src.rpm
> rpmbuild --rebuild src.rpm
> rpm -Uvh --force shiny-new-binary.rpm
>
> No twiddling with the spec file was required, as it already auto-detected the
> presence of lame.
>
> jh

Thanks to JH & JD and everyone else on this thread.

I now have a brand-new shiny sox binary (that I rebuilt
myself ;) ) with the required mp3 support.

Installed Packages
Name       : sox
Arch       : i386
Version    : 12.18.1
Release    : 1
Size       : 665 k
Repo       : installed
Summary    : A general purpose sound file conversion tool.
URL        : http://sox.sourceforge.net/
License    : GPL
converter SoX can convert
            : between many different digitized sound formats
and perform simple
            : sound manipulation functions, including sound
effects.

Available Packages
Name       : sox
Arch       : i386
Version    : 12.18.1
Release    : 1.el5_5.1
Size       : 313 k
Repo       : updates
Summary    : A general purpose sound file conversion tool.
URL        : http://sox.sourceforge.net/
License    : GPL
converter SoX can convert
            : between many different digitized sound formats
and perform simple
            : sound manipulation functions, including sound
effects.

[root at karsites i386]# sox -h
sox: Version 12.18.1

Usage: [ gopts ] [ fopts ] ifile [ fopts ] ofile [ effect [
effopts ] ]

gopts: -e -h -p -q -S -V

fopts: -r rate -c channels -s/-u/-U/-A/-a/-i/-g/-f
-b/-w/-l/-d -v volume -x

effect: avg band bandpass bandreject chorus compand copy
dcshift deemph earwax echo echos fade filter flanger highp
highpass lowp lowpass mask mcompand noiseprof noisered pan
phaser pick pitch polyphase rate repeat resample reverb
reverse silence speed stat stretch swap synth trim vibro vol

effopts: depends on effect

Supported file formats: aiff al alsa au auto avr cdr cvs dat
vms gsm hcom la lu maud  *mp3*  nul ossdsp prc raw sb sf sl
smp sndt sph 8svx sw txw ub ul uw voc vorbis vox wav wve

Kind Regards,

Keith

in practice they are not.