[CentOS] Moving from Fedora -- Advice??

Sat Dec 18 00:39:04 UTC 2010
David G. Mackay <mackay_d at bellsouth.net>

On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 18:38 +0100, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 17/12/10 18:24, Scott Robbins wrote:

> >> What's wrong with Fedora in that case, what do you think is the benefit
> >> of using CentOS instead?
> >
> > Fedora will break things.  They're still, in many ways, figuring out
> > what they are, but they do serve as a test bed, or perhaps development
> > platform, for various things that aren't ready for prime time.
>
> I so often hear that Fedora breaks things.  I've been running F-11 and
> F-12 on a server as KVM host, without issues.  I've been using F8-F13 on
> several computers (3 laptops and a workstation), and I can't really say
> it has broken anything on my setups.  It might be I'm not using it
> "right" to experience such breakage.  Use cases are everything from
> "mail, surf and OO.org" to development tasks

Really?  I've been running KVM on Fedora for quite a few releases.
NetworkManager has been something of a nightmare on several releases
when dealing with VMs.  Especially if you were doing bridging.  Fedora
has a slightly schizophrenic group of publicists.  There are folks that
insist that they are stable, and there are folks that tell you that they
are the leading edge.  If you scan the Fedora devel lists, it's not hard
to find discussions between developers noting that they'll have to force
users to use a particular new feature so that it will get properly
tested (i.e. it's so freaking buggy that no one would use it unless
forced to use it).  That said, I use Fedora for my development systems,
but CentOS for my production systems.

> In fact, for me, Fedora has been way more stable and solid than the time
> I was running Ubuntu (from Gibson to Ibix), where I got worried every
> time there were new updates available.
>
> But rightfully enough, I've never tried CentOS on the desktop.  Maybe
> CentOS 6 will be a good choice for that.

Depends on what you want for your desktop.  There are a lot of things,
like video, etc., that CentOS just lags too far behind.

Dave