[CentOS] Passwordless ssh

Warren Michelsen

Warren at MDCCLXXVI.com
Tue Feb 2 02:49:34 UTC 2010

On Mac OS, in order to allow ssh using dsa keys, I would copy
~/.ssh/id_dsa.pub from my machine into ~/.ssh/authorized_keys of the
target machine. I've created .ssh directories in my account home as
well as in /root and copied the respective keys to authorized_keys
files in each.

Strangely, I can now ssh as root with no password but my own user
account still prompts for a password. What might be wrong?

Interestingly, passwordless root ssh log-in worked while
'PermitRootLogin' in /etc/ssh/sshd_config was just 'yes' and before I
changed it to 'without-password'.