[CentOS] Virtualization - what do You recommend?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 13:37:40 UTC 2010

Rafa? Radecki wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I plan to use virtualization in my production environment. I plan to use
> one of the following options:
> - KVM;
> - VMWare Esxi;
> - VMWare Workstation.
>
> I plan to install Windows 2008 as a guest. I want to use something like
> LVM snapshots for backups. Stability is also very important, the guest
> will be used as a production server.
> Which option could You recommend and why?

What else are you going to run?  VMware Esxi is probably the best if the windows
guest(s) are the main priority.  I think you need a windows box to run the
vSphere client to manage it, though (but it is very nice, letting you do things
like connect your client cd/dvd to the guest for installs, etc.)  VMware server
would be OK if the guest(s) are somewhat secondary and you also run some
services directly on the host.  It has the down side that whenever you update
the host kernel you need to reboot the guests and run through the configuration
step before they'll restart.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com