[CentOS] atime, relatime query

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:22:51 UTC 2010

On 3 February 2010 12:52, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 4:38 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> RHEL doesn't have a reltime enabled kernel so centos doesn't either by
>> default. I believe that there is a kernel in plus that is reltime
>> enabled but due to potentially breaking ABI compatibility with RHEL I
>> don't make use of it.
>
> As you can see in my earlier note (and the referenced bug tracker)
> that was posted almost at the same time as yours, when I attempted to
> add a relatime patch to the centosplus kernel, it did break the kABI.
> Therefore it was not applied (there was a workaround however).
>
> At any rate, the point I wanted to make is that the centosplus kernel
> must remain (and has been) kABI-compatible with the distro/RHEL
> kernel.
>
> Akemi

Ah thanks Akemi - I thought the plus repository existed as something
that might break ABI compatibility - I'm pleasantly surprised to find
I'm wrong if not the case :)

And I saw your post just after I made mine (I must have been typing
the same time as you) and you definitely covered the material better.

James