[CentOS] Clustering

Matt Iavarone matt.iavarone at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 16:51:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Athmane Madjoudj <athmanem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> ESXi is free, but usable on one system. ESX is the full-blown version,
>> costs, and I *think* comes with the console... which, for some unknown
>> reason, is WinDoze *only*.
>>
>> I believe both can be administered via browser.
>
> maybe because there are more windows users that Linux and / or Mac OS
> X and FreeBSD.
>
> i have read in [1] and [2] that even RedHat may do the same thing (a
> Wind0w$ only console)
>
> [1]  http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3847391/Red+Hat+Virtualization+Manager+for+Windows+Only.htm
>
> [2] http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2009110700635NWRH
>

> I' m not sure but it will be helpful if someone confirm (or not).
>
> Best regards.
>
> --
> Athmane Madjoudj

It's Windows only for the management piece because it is written in
.NET, and yes it is the same for RHEV (Red Hat's Virtualization
server).  I don't know why it has to be in .NET, but it is (Probably a
C# thing).

For my money, and as this is a CentOS mailing list please forgive the
following recommendations, I would go with Oracle VM...because I don't
have much money.  OVM is free to download but has paid support
options.  It's a really small implementation of RHEL using the Xen
kernel and has a Non-Windows management UI.  It supports clustering
and high-availability with OCFS2 and does para and full
virtualization.

If I had more of a budget, I would go with RHEV.  It costs a lot less
to run compared to ESX and Hyper-V, and is higher performing too.
This, of course, uses KVM and not Xen, but the performance is there.
You need RHEL 5.4 and hardware compatibility. I'm not sure if you
would be able to manage CentOS 5.4 hosts with RHEV, but it'd be worth
a try.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.