[CentOS] best parallel / cluster SSH

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 23:26:59 UTC 2010

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>>> Clearly you've never worked for a large company if you even ask that
>>> question.
>>>
>>> A $1 difference in cost over 100,000 units sold is $100,000 in your
>>> pocket.
>>>
>>> I recall the first model of BCM we decided not to put a power switch
>>> on it for just this reason.
>> What I meant by the price is how much the price was reduced for the
>> consumer.  Manufacturers taking away functionality and not passing on
>> the savings isn't very interesting, but I suppose there's a point in
>> volume where you could pay someone to re-write perl or java code in C or
>> some close-to-the-metal language to save a few bytes of flash and RAM.
>
> Rewrite perl? You mean, like using perl2c?

I mean if you go from supplying perl and some perl-scripted functionality, you
either have to drop the functionality or some engineer has to rewrite the code
in a different language - something that usually isn't cheap.  I've never tried
perl2c - if such a thing exists it probably embeds most of perl as a library.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com