[CentOS] Changing size of a xen guest filesystem

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Sun Feb 7 13:48:56 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 12:52:43PM +0200, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> On 3.2.2010 19:54, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:26:13PM +0200, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> >> It should be easy, but I have not yet found a solution. Only some
> >> methods involving use of dd, but that sounds a little scary to me
> >> on a production server.
> >>
> >> I wish there would be a command "virt-resize", but no... Maybe
> >> "virt-clone", with the option --file=DISKFILE, could be bended to
> >> do this?
> >
> > If you're using LVM volumes to store guest disks, then you can do
> > "lvextend" in the host.
>
> Nope, I use disk images (sparse).
>
> > And then do necessary steps in the guest, to resize the
> > partitions/filesystems.
>
> Ok, looks like this can not be done all in one step.

It really depends how the image is used? Is it mapped as a partition,
and used as is? or is it partitioned in the guest?

Anyway, we're talking about the _raw_ disk image here.. you obviously need
to resize the (possible partitions and) filesystem in it aswell.

These partition/filesystem resizing steps can be made from dom0, or from the guest,
depending what you prefer.

-- Pasi