[CentOS] what causes CUPS to dis-enable a printer?

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 07:44:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> In our computer lab, there are 6 Centos 5.4 workstations. There is an
> HP printer with jet direct card. It often works.
>
> But sometimes users come and get me saying the printer is broken, but
> it is actually working fine for *most* of the workstations.
>
> On the troubled system, I run system-config-printer and I check the
> printer in question (under properties)  and I see the printer has been
> disabled. I mean, the box by the word Enabled is empty.
>
> After I manually (use lprm) remove the print jobs, and set the printer
> to Enabled, then the print queue will start working again.

There is a cups timeout value that might help. Cups will disable a
printer if it doesn't respond after a certain amount of time. If you
add a Timeout value to cupsd.conf you can either disable or set the
timeout higher.

If that doesn't work, you may need to change the loglevel to debug and
watch until it fails.