[CentOS] CentOS 5.4 x86_64 authenticating against AD (Server 2008r2)

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Feb 11 12:43:42 UTC 2010

Craig White wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 09:50 -0500, Ross Walker wrote:

>>> How about winbind with a ldap backend? winbind creates the uids/gids
>>> and
>>>  the rest just run nss_ldap?
>>>
>>> I currently use an ldap directory to store the rids but I don't
>>> remember
>>> if they have been translated to uids/gids or whether the winbind
>>> modules
>>> do that...
>> I don't know either, but if they do, that would work.
>>
>> Can samba update uid/gidNumbers of existing LDAP directory CNs?
>>
>> I still like the RID mapping, but if samba can write back uidNumbers
>> based on RID map generated uids that  would solve the problem.
> ----
> In essence, samba knows nothing about writing anything to LDAP but
> normally people would install smbldap-tools (not part of samba) to
> provide a toolset to write to LDAP.

Impossible. winbind certainly knows all about writing to LDAP otherwise
it won't be a backend database for rid maps and especially for
maintaining the same rids across boxes (okay, this got solved at a
higher level and thus an ldap backend is not needed for maintaining
identical rids across boxes) and I cannot imagine how that would be
accomplished without knowing anything about writing to ldap.

> If smbldap-tools doesn't do what you want, modify it.

??? What's that? ???