[CentOS] how to work with Code Repositories, but for web development?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Feb 11 17:03:02 UTC 2010

The one other tidbit that I'd add is ... experiment! Don't let your
first try at setting up a repository be your production setup.

Try different repository layouts. The online subversion book walks you
through the issues, but I'd caution against making a decision without
trying stuff out.

Create your repo (I use Subversion, but that's no knock against Git or
Darcs or Mercurial or ...). Check out or clone a copy. Edit some
files. Rearrange directories. Commit the changes. Rinse, lather,
repeat -- several times.

Ask yourself if the layout is good, if the repository workflow
dovetails with the way you work, if the client-side tools work well
with the various operating systems in your environment.

If you'll rely on a central, official repository, figure out a backup

It's good to figure out a template for commit messages: what
information needs to be provided to document the "why" of changes.
There are few things more annoying than an empty or meaningless commit

Finally, if your repository goes hand-in-hand with a lot of
meta-information like documentation, trouble tickets, milestones, or
things like screenshots, think about associating your repository with
a wiki like Trac: