[CentOS] Login timed out after 60 seconds

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Fri Feb 12 01:00:20 UTC 2010

Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to lengthen that timeout
> value from 60 to, say, 180. This isn't the first time I've wanted to
> kill a runaway process and been unable to get a console because of
> that timeout.

I poked around a bunch but couldn't find a config that can be
adjusted.. I do see that the particular message comes from /bin/login

# strings login | grep -i timed
Login timed out after %d seconds

which seems to be part of the util-linux package, so perhaps poke
around in the source, maybe there is a .h file that you can adjust
with a higher value and rebuild it.

nate