[CentOS] USB GPS

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Feb 12 09:35:52 UTC 2010

John R Pierce wrote:
> Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>>> Anyone ever used the iGPS-500 under CentOS 5?  Any recommendations on a
>>> USB-based GPS that "just works"?
>>>
>> I use the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx on CentOS.
>> This is a very good device (but more for "offroad" activities).
>>

> there's two generic families of GPS's, simple antenna+radio-only units
> which just report position over USB (or on older ones, rs232 serial),
> and fancy handheld units that have mapping and tracking and all kinda
> bells and whistles such as the various Garmin units
>
> most folks who want a GPS to connect to a computer are probably more
> interested in the simple kind, as they want to use the computer for any
> mapping etc.

Guess I'm not most.
I use my GPS to collect data on reptiles and amphibians, dump the data
to gpx, pass it through http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation to fix
the elevation (which can sometimes be considerably off in the unit,
especially with tree cover), and provide georeference data when I submit
the data to the nafha database.

I don't do any mapping with the computer, unless you count finding spots
that look interesting in google earth and uploading them to the unit for
me to then find out in the field.

Lot of people just like me, too.