[CentOS] Serial Port or USB monitoring / Logging

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 11:49:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 19:58 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> I am trying to connect a automated urine analyzer to a serial report
> with the hope of catching the results so that I can eventually
> incorporate the data in a patient medical record.  I intend to do the
> same thing for a blood analyzer.
>
> Now that I have Tony Lawrence's script executing I can take the next
> step of connecting the urine analyzer to to the serial port to do some
> testing.
----
Greg.

I Know someone has already asked what you were trying to do.  You are
better off doing this via RF instead of Serial.  I've done this for many
years .  You will catch hell from Lab Techs, Doctors, and Nurses from
them having to connect it to a serial port.  That is just the iceing on
the cake, not to mention your Application will not be Certified for any
Health Care Facility.  Thus meaning they could get fined by DHEC and
Medicaid/Medicare.

If your facility is participating in the Gov. healthcare grants you can
look to many certified vendors for *Nix platforms for the
software/hardware to do this.  If you have any questions you can send me
a personal mail.  Look at the HL7 coding Laws also.

John