[CentOS] is yum a complete substitute of rpm?

Ron Loftin reloftin at twcny.rr.com
Sat Feb 13 16:13:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 10:00 -0600, Jim Green wrote:
> Dear Centos community,
> I am new to centos/redhat and I would like to know on a centos system,
> can I use yum alone to do all package management? I don't want to learn
> two systems and confuse myself, I understand yum is much better than
> rpm if is the case?

I expect that you will get a bunch of replies on this.

The short form is that yum lives on TOP of RPM.  It is not a replacement
for RPM.

Yum does most of the thinking for you as far as dependency management.
It is much more user-friendly, and is the preferred mechanism for
software installation and maintenance because it does the dependency
resolution for you, and saves much in the way of headaches, elevated
stress, confusion, and RSI from excessive keyboard use.

All that being said, there are times when you do want to use RPM by
itself, without Yum.  If you stay with CentOS and/or RedHat long enough,
you will run across this situation now and then.