[CentOS] is yum a complete substitute of rpm?

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 16:35:19 UTC 2010

> Thank Robert and Ron, Could you list an example where I need to use
> rpm command alone? I used rpm to install stand alone package if that
> is the case.

If you need information on a specific package then you'll likely need
to use rpm directly. For the most part, anytime I need to install a
package I use yum. This includes installing a standalone package. I
use rpm mainly during troubleshooting. For example, to list package
contents, scripts, or extract portions of a package.