[CentOS] annoying random Firefox crash - how to debug?

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 12:06:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Paul Bijnens
<Paul.Bijnens at xplanation.com>wrote:

> On 2010-02-17 10:23, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> >
> > IS it the graphics card? Other programs, like Bluefish, Eclipse, Open
> > Office, etc doesn't crash.
>
> I also have the problem, also using an nvidia card (currently using
> their proprietary driver now, version NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.42-pkg2.run).
>
> My thunderbird used to be rock stable (uptimes several weeks), but
> recently it started to crash as well (about once a week or so).
>
> Even more disturbing is that now gnome-terminal also starts crashing.
> I usually have many (30+) gnome terminal windows open on several virtual
> screens
> and on a crash, they all disappear (except maybe one or two, which were
> started by another launcher).
>
> What I also noticed is that "suddenly" the focus changes, and many (all?)
> minimized windows suddenly get unminimized again.
> I also have lots of yellow sticky notes, usually hidden, and they also
> suddenly get unhiden as well (that's usually how I notice the focus
> change).
>
> Maybe window manager related (I'm using the standard gnome in centos5
> latest)?
>
> Sometimes, it even happens when I'm not at my keyboard at all...
> And, indeed, it gets more frequent recently. (Firefox crashing several
> times a day,
> gnome-terminal 1-2 times a week. Windows unminimizing without any action on
> my part several times a day as well.)
>
> --
> Paul Bijnens, Xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.525
> Interleuvenlaan 86, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM          Fax  +32 16 397.552

Ok, so it isn't just me :)

But, what is causing the problem? I changed from the default naveou driver
to the nvidia driver (via yum install nvidia) but that's didn't fix the
problem either. So I doubt if it actually is the nVidia card / driver that's
causing the problem.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers