[CentOS] processor affinity

Simon Billis simon at houxou.com
Wed Feb 17 18:17:47 UTC 2010

Adam Grossman sent a missive on 2010-02-17:

> Hello,
>
> i am running CentOS 5.4.  i have a requirement where i need to have 1
> application have a single processor all to its self, and the rest of the
> system run on the other processors.  "taskman" lets me bind the process
> to a processor(s), but it does not make it exclusive.   Is this possible
> to do? i have even tried mucking around with the rc.sysinit, but to no
> avail.
>
> thank you very much,
Have you considered running through the pids of the all tasks and then using
taskset to change their affinities. You could also change all the init
scripts to invoke the process using something like "taskset -p [mask] [pid]"
and limit the mask to only the first few CPU's that you want them to have
access to.