[CentOS] processor affinity

Simon Billis simon at houxou.com
Thu Feb 18 10:25:41 UTC 2010

Adam Grossman sent a missive on 2010-02-17:

> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 13:26 -0500, Adam Grossman wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 18:17 +0000, Simon Billis wrote:
>>> Adam Grossman sent a missive on 2010-02-17:

>>> Have you considered running through the pids of the all tasks and then
>>> using taskset to change their affinities. You could also change all
>>> the init scripts to invoke the process using something like "taskset
>>> -p [mask] [pid]" and limit the mask to only the first few CPU's that
>>> you want them to have access to.
>>>

>> that's probably a good idea.  have it be the last service that runs
>> which moves everything to the processors i want.  i am going to give
>> that an try.
>
> i was asked to do this for increased performance.  but does centos
> have any SMP load balancing which would probably work better then
> manually doing load balancing?

Linux does have cpu load balancing to maximise performance, but performance
of an application/process relies on many things. You may have to tune the
system for that particular application and also reduce the number of other
processes running to maximise the performance. Application tuning may also
be required for maximum performance gains.