[CentOS] how to push the bounds and get newer packages for centos 5.4?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 17:16:51 UTC 2010

On 2/18/2010 8:20 AM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> I use epel (has a lot of different stuff but generally does not have newer
>> versions of standard packages), rpmforge (sometimes has newer stuff and may
>> cause some conflicts) remi (up to date ocsinventory-server, php, mysql), and
>> opennms (Sun JVM 1.5 and opennms).  Normally I leave epel enabled in the yum
>
> We use as well:
>
> - EPEL: their missions statement is that they will NEVER update base:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#Does_EPEL_replace_packages_provided_within_Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_or_layered_products.3F

You have to take mission statements with a grain of salt.  There was a
time when you would get java-1.6.0.openjdk from epel instead of the
stock version - and things like that will probably happen again as the
base repos decide to duplicate things that already exist in 3rd party
locations.  They have a history of never making any effort to coordinate
that process.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com