[CentOS] Resizing a PV that belongs within a Volume Group?

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Feb 19 17:54:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:23:31PM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Given the partition which is a physical volume can be enlarged because
> there is free space directly after the end of the current partition, you
> then can do following very easily:
>
> 1) fdisk /dev/<device>
> 1a) delete the partition to enlarge
> 1b) re-create the partition from the same starting point to the new size
> 1c) save the changes
>
> 2) partprobe /dev/<device>
>    to let the kernel know about the change

Will this work if any partitions on <device> are mounted?  When I have
run fdisk to modify a partition table, the kernel complains that it
can't reread the partition table if there are mounted filesystems on the
target disk.  If the root filesystem is on the target disk, a reboot
might be required.  (In the past, fdisk has alerted the kernel if
there's been a partition table change, so partprobe might not be
needed.)

And of course, have backups when messing with the partition table.  :)

--keith

kkeller at speakeasy.net