[CentOS] OT: Torrent software choice

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Feb 22 19:31:52 UTC 2010

> Hi, I am writting this message in hope that you can be of a great help to
> me. My husband that has been on this site  died suddenly Feb 4th) and I
> can not access my computer. He has  a user name and password on the
> system. He has used the Linux  and Red Hat to run the computer....   He
> would boot up the system and then I would do my email, documents, etc.  I
> never thought to ask him his password or username.  There is no one in
> our area that knows how to change the username and password on the Linux
> system... Can you or some one you may know help. I did find a Red Hat
> Boot disk... not sure what to do with it!!!!
> I am able to use this email so that is why I am sending this to you
> ,trying to find help. I can be reached through a friend if you can call
> me 970 208 3131.....  or email... will be OK also............  I hope
> there is someone to help me get on my computer...  Laura

Well, on the one hand, an email like this makes me *very* nervous, since
it reads like a scam, with questions like "how can you email here if you
can't get to his email?"

On the other hand, if true, it's utterly horrible - my ...late... wife
died that way, and it's not exactly a Big Sekret Of Sysadmins that all you
need to do is reboot the server, and assuming it shows the usual "booting
linux in x seconds", all you need to do is hit any key, then type 'e',
then scroll down to the line that starts with the word "kernel"; hit 'e'
again (no quotes, anywhere, of course), and at the end of the line, add
the letter s (for single user mode), then <enter>, then the letter b (for

It then comes up in single user mode, and all you need to do is to change
his password, if your email is under his account. You can
cat /etc/password
and you'll probably be able to figure out his username; then it's merely
passwd <hisusername>
and give a new password when prompted. When you're done, hit <ctrl-D>, and
let it come up, then you can log in.